Yesterday Oracle released Database 220.127.116.11 SE2 (Download at OTN). There are some major changes, one can only use at most 2 sockets with a maximum of 8 cores per socket. It is allowed to use RAC witch in turn means, that each server must not have more than 1 socket. Hard partitioning using Oracle VM is allowed.
There are many questions regarding licensing such as
- What about migrating old SE licenses?
- What happens to SE RAC installations utilizing 4sockets?
- The download is for SE2 explicitly. Can I use this with old SE/SE. one license or do I need to buy new SE2?
We will see, how Oracle answers all these questions. All in all it is a major change that may not improve customer satisfaction.
Some answers to the above questions:
- SE One: Need to pay additional fee to get SE2
- SE utlizing 2 sockets: No additional cost
- SE RAC with 2 sockets overall: No additional cost
- SE RAC with 4 sockets overall: need to reduce sockets OR upgrade to EE